Gluten-Free, Vegan, Serves 6
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegan butter, melted
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×9-inch baking dish. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the sweet potato chunks until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain the water and transfer the cooked sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the sweet potatoes until smooth and creamy. In the mixing bowl with the mashed sweet potatoes, add the melted coconut oil or vegan butter, maple syrup or agave nectar, almond milk, bourbon (if using), ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt. Mix until well combined.
Transfer the sweet potato mixture to the greased baking dish, spreading it out evenly. In a small bowl, combine the chopped pecans, coconut sugar, and melted coconut oil or vegan butter. Stir until the pecans are coated with the sugar and oil. Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture in the baking dish. Bake the Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pecan topping is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.